The Fall

In a hospital on the outskirts of 1920s Los Angeles, an injured stuntman begins to tell a fellow patient, a little girl with a broken arm, a fantastic story of five mythical heroes. Thanks to his fractured state of mind and her vivid imagination, the line between fiction and reality blurs as the tale advances.

I can't believe I missed this fantastic film when it first played on 2006. Now that I had watched it, I can't seemed to get over it. I've watched it repeatedly afterwards, replaying favorite scenes, listening to the music, and just enjoyed all the visual feast. Though I admit I stumbled onto this while looking through Lee Pace's filmography (currently I had a crush on him), I fell in love with this movie mainly because of Catinca Untaru. She's just so freaking adorable!

How can you not watch this movie and feel strong affection towards a six years old who barely know what was going on, thus making the whole movie so sweet just by being innocent and childishly ignorant. The movie is fantastical and dreamy, but there is a depressing undertone. They balanced it quite well with the presentation of Roy Walker (Lee Pace) and Alexandria's (Catinca Untaru) almost father-daughter relationship.

Such a sweet friendship
I also loved the fact that they used almost no CGI effect here, and used beautiful places as setting for the movie. It made me want to travel a lot more (when I got the moolah to do so). The vivid imagery as well as vibrant colors captivated me most of the time. It reminded me of Life of Pi, but where Life of Pi was chokeful of visual effects, The Fall showed mostly real things.

Not special effect
The last scene was so emotional I cried everytime I rewatched it. And the ending was so bittersweet I kept thinking about it. I could never like such an ending, but could not bring myself to hate it as well. This movie was just so romantic and unforgettable. it is definitely the kind of movie you need to watch before you die and discover that life is both beautiful and bitter.


Seriously, watch this film and cry and laugh and be forever captivated.

Comments